Friday, January 02, 2009

Dream Scape

During Cegep years 1973/74, I took a course on writing.

The teacher, David Gray, told us that it is best to write from experience.

Since our life experience was limited he said, "Keep a little notebook beside your bed. Upon awakening, quickly jot down, in point form, elements from your dreams. Later, time permitting, read the notes and most of it will come back to you. Then write about your dream. You may even find the seeds of good stories there. After all you really do experience the dream fabric."

The interesting thing about dream catching, as far as it relates to this blog, is that there are many of you who make occasional appearances in my dreams.

Richard Rankin's 'invisible elephant' notwithstanding, I think I might include a few of these in the blog. (For Richard's 'Invisible Elephant' go further back to the spring or summer in this blog.)

If you have some of your own you would like to tell me about, please feel free. I will not write about them in the blog unless you give me permission to do so.

Remember the song "Good Night Irene" (...I'll see you in my dreams...) or even Roy Orbisson's, Dream (In dream I walk with you, In dream I talk with you.)

I wonder if our dream life becomes a more significant part of our existence as we age, or as we lose our family, or why some people show up in my dreams and not others.

While Freud's theories on dream tend to be discounted, Carl Jung's theory, says that all facets of a dream are aspects of the dreamer. Yet the lingering questions might be- why a specific place or person? Ah! Now that would be telling.
----------
Welcome to my world.
------------------
So, in last night's dreamscape ...

I am on St.Francis Street cradling a baby in my arms as I walk towards the highway -St. Jean Babtiste. The baby must be a newborn infant as it is very light to hold and is completely covered in a blanket. It does not cry or make any movement.

Seigniory Park Country Club is on my left.

I enter the front parking lot. People are streaming out from the gate.

Walking towards me, is a 17 year old Linda Baron.

The realization that this is a dream, emerges, since I knew Linda at an even older age when we were in Cegep. But then, perhaps she has a daughter? I then remember that Seigniory Park has been plowed under for many years, so this cannot be taking place in the conscious world.

I continue to walk inward against the flow of exiting people .

Linda walks right up to me. "Linda, - wow! How are you?"
"I'm sorry" she says, "That is not my name."

She begins to change.

"Oh, sorry." I walk on.

Passing by on my right and further over in the crowd, I see Hubert Jenosh.
I have not seen him since grade 8 or 9.

There are too many people between us for me to try to go over and I don't want to accidently crunch the baby in my arms by negotiating my way through the crowd. He does not see me.

I continue on.
End.
-----------

Perhaps next time I'll tell the one about what I found in the massive crater on Craik Street over near where the Colonia Pool used to be.
-------------------

By the way all - Happy New Year.

No comments: