Monday, September 14, 2009

Rodney McNight
Class of '72

One of my favorite people I like to remember from highschool.

Some of us were mean to this young man either to his face or behind his back- and he took it - when he should have given us what we all deserved.

But he was so kind instead.

These days when I contemplate Bhuddism, the Dali Lama and the ideas, courage and action required to actually grow in life, I think back to people in highschool who embodied kind heartedness like this man.


..we were kids and many of us still are.

I'm certain the memory of High School is not warm and fuzzy for everyone.

Before Pierre Lacroix died the month or so before the reunion of May 2007, he wrote to me and brought this point solidly home. Rick Rankin will remember that week. I was really bowled over. I actually thought Pierre was being a little heavy handed, but I had no idea the pain he was enduring at the time. I only found out later he knew he was soon to pass on.

Things become very clear in that light. One gets to the point quickly and dispenses with those lacking in at least an element of depth or resonance with what is important in this gift we call life.

I remember bringing Pierre's comments to my wife - I was feeling a little sorry for myself, given that someone was actually raining on my parade. And Jane responded in her usual well thought out counter-point,"Well you can't expect everyone to feel the way you do."

Then she told me about how she had called a girlfriend of hers from John Rennie High (where they had gone to school) asking if she would like to go to their reunion. " I think I'd prefer to stay home and stick HOT needles in my eye." was the response, ever so calmly.

It is good to remember there were many kind hearted souls in High School who were bull dozed aside by the cliques, who were not stars, not clever tounged little devils. They just had to be who they were and try to get by and beyond that phase as soon as possible. Back then it seemed minutes would pass like hours as we watched that clock ...get to the end of a day.

Not so any more I'm afraid.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Today I read your blog about Rodney McKnight and it hit home in a weird way which I thought I would share with you. I also remember Rodney quite fondly from high school and I remember wondering why he took all the ribbing he took from the supposed "cool" crowd. Why did he hate to walk down the glass hallway, why didn't he react angrily...
I know that for myself, I expected a long period of adjustment being new to the country, but this boy had known all his classmates for so long and yet his calvary endured as he endured it.
He actually inspired me to look down upon the denizens of the glass hallway as unworthy of my respect. To me they were a posse and as such were moved by mob behavior, they were to be assessed only when separated from the mob as individuals whom I would allow into my life...or not.
Most are now my friends or friendly acquaintances.
That lesson has served me well in everything I have done since.
I now trust individuals until they give me reason not to, and I ignore groups until they prove worthy of my participation.
Rodney, wherever you are man, thanks.
Charlie Ghorayeb