Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Shadow Known

I'm sitting on the stone benches between McClennen and Redpath Libraries at McGill, scribbling notes.

I glance up.

Coming from the Leacock Building is a familiar figure. Not the same but familiar. He is walking between two buddies, intent, as if a decision must be made. To be or not to be.

I recognise him now. He has lost much of his body weight, resembling more his brother Barry, lanky and tall; now older with two day growth on his face.

"He was always the darker of the two" I think to myself coversationally.

He passes by.
I stand and peer at his back.

I say out loud, " I remeber you."
There is a pause in his movement.

" I do know who you are."
He stops at this.

"I remember the pool."
He turns now and looks at me, unsure I am talking to him.
Perhaps I don't look the same. Surely I have grown so much older. After all I was only fourteen back then.

" You remember too, the days in the sun, and how you cut dolphin-like, in and out of the crystal flicker of the afternoon water, the momentum beats of your flutter kick, propelling you up and out ward, your browned bicepts slicing back down to complete a cycle of the butterfly."

He steps toward me now, unsure but with a look of wonder.

"Just fantastic you were to behold, muscles ripped in sunscreened definition, beads of water falling away as you gripped the diving board rail in prepartion. So golden in your moment of Speedo splendered contour."

He moved closer to me but now eyes closing, feeling the vision.

" Your mom and dad watched with pride, in their whites, over by Claire and Ken P. Your sister Sandra standing with her friends all watched you. Even your brother Barry had to pay attention. You were the epicentre of a summer life moment.

He held his hand to his brow. He was there living it now.

I walked to him, put my arm over his boney shoulder like a long lost pal.

" I know you recall the days horsing around with Chuck B., both of you chasing Linda P., the variety show nights - Hello Mudda, Hello Fawda, her I am in Camp Ranata, and the movies across the pool."

We walked and I spun the story of his memory through the eyes of little boy watching his bad-boy-devil- may-care hero from afar.

"And here you are- alive! You fooled them all! And they all said you died. But you are very much alive- in me you always will be.

The whole time he had not said a thing, but just held on to himself,
straining to ...
remember.

No comments: