Saturday, March 10, 2007

Fred Sailer, Bill Howes and Woodstock

Do you remember the traveling fair that used to stop by every year in the parking lot of the arena? There was a ride that would turn you upside down and all the change in your pockets would drop, but that was alright because girlfriends held on so tight!

It would be early fall, just as the leaves turned and the river got low with scummy muck. The dam and the island and the beach would lose all attraction since it stunk so. This small carnival provided an out and a diversion from the fact that we were back in the academic grind.

It was in grade nine for me when I began to sprout musical wings and play a blues harp to add to my attempts at singing. And it was one magic night when I wasn't hanging out at the YMCA Raja Mood with Diane Ranger trying to get past first base (- she was so cute and so was her older sister too!). I happened to have my harp in my pocket when I heard the chords of 'Season of The Witch' - and there he was, wiry haired with grimace smile and indian sandals that suited him just fine- doing 'his thing' with gravel voice but right on key. He had the magic! Mr. Fred Sailer.

Always friendly, instead of telling me to get lost (as I pulled out my harmonica) he just nodded -in his knowing, oh so cool way - not a word, just warmth and smile all telling me to just go right on ahead and bend some notes. Thank goodness the harp was in the right key. It was a lovely warm night, a good combination and good jam.

Fred was and -still is -one of those who, in my opinion -seeks the 'good', that which perhaps is hardest to pin down in life - the philosophic, and perhaps spiritual or transcendental element of our nature, with an eye to living it everyday. This quest is difficult since it's siren song will distract and blind you to time itself. But then, as I said - this is my opinion. He was always somewhere above me in the magical chase, grasping ladders of light aiming for the great beyond.

I am fortunate. He has chosen to stay in touch from decade to decade.

I recall meeting him one summer later, when he and Roddy McManus appeared just before the arrival of Scott Rogers at Bill Howse cottages on the very tip of the Gaspe peninsula. It was an artistic 'happening' with teachers Janice Turner, the late Mr. Eric Wesslow, his wife Tia and their son Steven. Romy Royko was there too.

I am reminded by Fred that this was the year of Woodstock. I do recall having the three way choice of entering into the musical Hair, or going to another music festival, this one in Woodstock County or going to Bill Howes place perched on Ships Head -the very final and pointy tip of the Gaspe cliff.

I had only just escaped the line-up auditions for the musical - HAIR at the Comdey Canadienne on Ste.Catherine Street.

I was deemed as acceptable for the auditions despite my 16 years of age since I had the longest hair in the place... Age of Aquarius indeed!

But, then I heard I would have to sing ...without my clothes.

By that time I had very limited exposure to audiences and was still coming to grips with the possibility of stage fright. The lack clothing issue did not help as far as my adolescent mind was concerned. If the cool water of swimming pools had a certain effect on my anatomy, God only knows what would happen in the case of mass scrutiny!

As for the festival in Woodstock, there had been so many already and with my limited budget, I figured it was a perfect time to take advantage of my family free pass with CN Rail and go out east with Romy Royko to visit Bill Howes. Who could have guessed that Woodstock would become such a historic event? It just goes to show you, we make decisions and have to live with them. This is one decision that perhaps I am fine with -one never knows what might have occurred at Woodstock -to me. Convesely, I do wonder where I might have gone had I had the gumption to stick out the process with the Musical Hair? Ah well -c'est la vie n'est pas?

I think I'll ask Fred if I could reprint part of his last e-mail to me. He brings up names of people from school I have not thought of in a long time. Lately he has been writing and his work is being heard on CBC Ontario.

Fred still has the magic and always will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am told that people who have already paid are in line to win something special..is there truth to this? In fact, I am told that every one who is paid up is in line for something but, those who are in sooner get a bigger shot at the greater prize? What can you tell me about this mystery?

Les McConnell said...

Ah Well...hmmm.

I'm really not supposed to divulge certain things. But way back in the beginning, in fact back when this all started, I alluded to the the fact that there are certain mysteries at work in the writings that are issued here and in e-mail broadcasts -imbedded if you will.

Some have picked up the clues some have not.

All I can say is that "there is truth in all things if we understand them well."

As one man from Kahnawake recently told me, he had used my favorite word. Do you remember someone from Kahnawake who might have known me? What could that word be?