Tuesday, May 08, 2007


Of Certain Valour


In the graduating years 1971 and 1972, just as in other years, there were many fine people. But there is one type of person I was particularly fascinated with, because the teachers themselves, as well as many students depended upon their expertise and dexterity in the most crucial situations and under great duress.


These special souls were different. From a technical appreciation standpoint they were far advanced than those of us who were more concerned with the mundane- of who was going out with who, or who was developing at a faster physical rate than whomever.

Oh don't get me wrong, these people were just as normal and hormonal as you or me. But they were stars in another arena less recognized than the basketball court, the rink, the stage, or the academic realm.

Again, these people were comparable in most of these arenas to some degree or another. However, to me they were the forerunners of today's behind the scene stars like Bill Gates.

These people were technically advanced. They knew about circuitry, lights, the running of cameras and projectors. I believe, if the truth be told, they were not recognized as much as they could have been simply because they were ahead of their time.

I knew these gentlemen as as fine young men with good personalities and capabilities who did not suffer fools easily, but were too well brought up to tell some of us where to get off.

Today, I take my hat off to these gentlemen. While one kind soul amongst them is no longer with us, he is sorely missed.

As for the other two, I sincerely hope they come to our reunion and let me buy them a drink, shake their hands and thank them for their patience and good will in high-school for I remember them fondly as many of you do too.

Should they not come and join us this last time in life - I here and now wish to recognize them as fine people. I know they do not need this recognition, but I need to do this. Bill and John - You were appreciated and liked. Your laughter, jokes, and technical wizardry along with buddy Steve Bates were true assets to our class mates. Thank you.

No comments: