Monday, December 03, 2007

Frankly Speaking...

I have never really been what I would consider a "Jock" - is that "Jacques"? - no can't be. I mean, I am athletic- in that I played soccer, baseball and hockey when I was a kid. I also did Tai Chi and when my back is not killing me - Yoga. I remember when we were first married, Jane and I took karate classes together. But I have never been the type to be able to spout statistics about team sports.

One day I will tell the story of hitchhiking through the Eastern Seaboard of the old U.S. of A. but for now, I will say that I was very pleased to have Barry Jones with me.

There were all kinds of Americans who picked us up and gave us lifts down the road. And I have to be quite honest here, - we got farther, faster because Barry knew all the stats of all the football and baseball players. He knew the language!

ERAs and RBIs and all kinds of stuff. This was (and I get the feeling it still is) the language of America. No - it was the social currency!

MY, MY ! -How they would go on about all this stuff, that meant absolutely zip to me. It was a competition of who knew the most little details about people (pro sports figures) who could throw a ball, tackle, bat, catch, kick or fake.

Now, I do not mean to diminish the significance of this cultural phenomena, but we were in the middle of the expansion of the War from Viet Nam into Cambodia for heaven's sake! Both White and Black kids had disappeared down in the South while advocating Civil Rights! I had been whacked a few times in the back by a police baton when protesting in front of the American Embassy when I should have been in class at HSB! And here was Barry and these sincere and sports captivated gentlemen talking the talk! Here was I stranger in a strange land!

I mean, -do you remember Peter Oeder? He could spout stats on all kinds of snakes and reptiles. He knew exactly where to look in the Pines, if you wanted to find a Northern Brown, or Garder or a Salamander! He had flash cards the same way Barry had Baseball and Hockey cards. He was a minority of one in a milieu of the many. I'm not sure why I think of him now - I think it's the similarity to the commitment to statics committed to memory. Perhaps it's like I am with financial and investment stats? But the more I know on these, the better strategic decisions I can make.

Well- for the past 35 years, I have been flipping from TV channel to channel with my nifty remote, always skipping over the sports. "Oh God! Monday night football! Get a life! Change the channel - what's the market doing? Where's Louis Rukeiser? Are there any good movies on ?...'Thelma and Louise' or 'Shawshank Redemption' perhaps? Skip MASH the TV show, just give me the movie!"

But I have to confess.
I had John Saunders at the house with Murph (- excuse me- Dr. Vincent Murphy) the day after the reunion, as a pit-stop before joining Ralf (-oh yes- that's 'Dr.' Ralph Behrens with the beautiful family and home out in some Shangrila BC) we were all to meet over at AC's place (the angelic Anne Christine Gurholt).

So I was told about a year ago, (by Colleen Hillock and Rick Rankin) that John earned his livelihood on ABC TV doing sports commentary! "Well that's nice", I thought, -back then -my mind completely filled with detail about the looming Reunion. Woopty doo right?

So what do I find myself doing on American Thanks Giving Monday last week? I was watching ESPN -ABC, as I checked out the flying 2-d graphics and presentation (I am helping to put capital together for a deal for the people who created those graphics for all the networks). And guess who I see larger than life and spiffy 'talking the talk'?

WOW! - He looked real good! And could he talk the talk! I got my family down into that TV room fast!- out from behind the guitar and books and computer!

And I stood there transfixed pointing to our 42 inch 'not-yet-flat' TV and exclaimed with great pride and joy, - "THERE'S JOHN! He sat in our living room! I knew him way back when!"

I was thrilled as I listened to all that sports jabber! He's good at what he does. Man! - I am impressed. Keep going John! I think I 'get it', now! I'm a believer! Make us proud!

Jacob (my son) casually asked, - "So who are the other two talking with him?"
"Who cares!" says I... "There's John!"

(To think he and Colleen hosted our reunion. Oh-Oh! - Does this make me a "fan"? Hope so.)

John Saunders and the ever-cool Hopeton D'Aguliar


Mid way above - Left: AC and Rick,
Middle: Gervaise "Gerry"Bushe and Dr.Vincent Murphy.
Right: Anne Christine Gurholt, Louise Lacey and Dr. Ralph Behrens ... "Doctor, tell me... how is it that some people just get better looking with age?" - And look at Murphy - for God's sake! You look like one of those Doctors on the Soaps! Just grow old and sag like the rest of us for crying out loud!

No comments: