Monday, December 03, 2007

Here we are!

Are you ready for snow...because we are going to get it now!

That's fine - I'll go skiing with my son and daughter if they have time from their university studies.

Maybe even Jane (my wife) will go - if she has a "snow day". She's a teacher you see..
------------------------------------------

Ah my old friend - are you enjoying your life?
I hope so. I think of you every now and then.
This applies to all of you who read this who knew me back in school - back when I knew you to wave to, or say hi to, or to have a smoke out behind the church, or to play guitar with and sing. I knew you when your hair was longer and when we wore a size 24-28 jeans.

As for smoking - well I gave that up when my daughter turned two. She is 22 now.

Below are a couple of pictures. I am so sorry to have to tell you that two lovely girls many of us had known - have passed on.

The first was Joanne Hannan - who I mostly knew as my cousin Greg's (Holden) wife.
The second, just two weeks after was another Joanne - Joanne Cunningham.

Joanne Hannan-Holden was with us at the reunion in May - dancing up a storm with my wife Jane as I sang on stage with our buddies in the band. She and Greg had made another appearance in this blog back in January/Feb when I put in pictures from New Years last. I really expected to dance with her again this New Years. But cancer took her from us all.

Joanne Cunningham, -I had not seen since the hallways, classes and chats in 1972 when if I am not mistaken, she went out with Ward Ross. A week or two ago, Jane asked me if I knew a Joanne Cunningham who had a sister named Gerry. Jane has this habit of reading the obits over coffee in the morning. I said, "Yes - she was one of the brightest most attractive people I knew throughout my high-school years."

Jane passed me the paper.
"Thomas , Joanne Wendy (nee Cunningham).
Suddenly on Saturday, November 17, 2007 at the age of 52.
Survived by her husband Don, children Douglas and Margery,
her mother Sheila Cunningham (Chateauguay), sisters Gerry (Jim Pfeiffer)
Heather Cunningham and her brother Jim Cunningham.

Joanne was a longtime dental hygienist (25 years), an active member of the
Orleans United Church , an Alto in the Carleton University Choir, and
an avid quilter.

Joanne touched many lives with her willingness to always lend a helping hand..."

(Some people never change.)
God she was so sweet -always smiling. So too was her sister Gerry. It has been a long time.

So yes - here we are.
It is winter.






Joanne Hannan and Jane Ashley McConnell

Joanne Cunningham (Yearbook 1972) (Gerry if you read this, please send us an updated picture.
Thanks, your old friend from the school - Les) I am very pleased Rick Rankin was able to attend the Memorial service in Ottawa area.

No comments: