Sunday, February 10, 2008

So We've made it past New Years.

Well done!
How are you feeling? Looking forward to Spring? Golf in the Carolinas? Are you in Acapulco right now? Are you nursing Arthritis in the cold? Got your space heater out and your blanket pulled up?
Ya gettin' any? Are your kids behaving? Moved out yet? Have you put on another 10? Do we still fit in our jeans? Do we need another Reunion to motivate the loss of unwanted pounds? Have you unloaded that mangy varmint dud husband yet? Have you been good to your wife -deserving favors are you? You better be. Life! So this is it right?

I was at the Centaur Theater the other day watching the play, "Half Life" by John Mighton. - all about Love in the last stop hospital once we get into our upper and later years. Imagine you no longer have a wife or husband and in your late years you fall in love with someone in "the home"...ok ok -don't go that far now, ooooouuu -contrtol the vision! -just fall in love (for now).

And then imagine you might like to marry the old bird since you know you only have a few more years left and so why not? Then your son or daughter who has 'power of attorney' steps in and says "no". (Eric Peterson of Corner Gas played a lead role in this one.)

Interesting play.

So a few days later, I went back to the Centaur to meet the author and some of the actors and who do you think I meet? -You guessed it! From the class of 1970 Margaret "Peggy" Hopkins. I guess I met the boy who "bought her the most pizza" -Mr. Fergus Keyes- one of the officials of the Centaur theater. Oh Come ! You do so remember her - she lived over on Mcleod Street up a little from the school.

Back in January I went to Harry Gulkin's 80th Birthday party. (He produced the movie Lies My Father Told Me -) What fun!

Back in high-school, Cathy, his daughter was a year ahead of me -since I failed grade five- but that's a long story- I'll tell it in the form of a screen play one day. Well anyway - I met Cathy's half sister - who is somewhat younger than she is along with Cathy's new spouse, Lisa -who is really cool.

We (Cathy, me and her half sister) all danced together as Cathy's daughter and back-up band played for the audience. The audience was made up of producers and actors and media people - Josh Freed and such. Oh yes, Cathy's sister's name is Sarah Polly.

My son was very excited that I met this young lady.
"Ah come on Dad! You must know who she is!"

Well I do now -Canada is proud to have her in line for an Oscar - Foreign Film Director's award. She adapted the story by Alice Munroe "Away From Her" and wrote the screen play- tailored for Gordon Pincet and Julie Christie who both starred in the film.

So not only is she intelligent, but fine looking too -tragically angelic, trapped in our earthbound orbit . And yes there is one heck of a story in all of this - but that will be told at a later date - perhaps by Sarah?

Back to planet Chateauguay now, - I was over at the shopping center today picking up some baby carrots at the Super C which used to be Steinburg's- remember? I bumped into Ken Schillgalies (Class of 68) and he congratulated us all for putting on a fine Reunion in May.

He said, "Wow- a whole other side of you came forth that night!"
I said, "Oh? How so?"
" Well", Ken continued, " I always thought you were a little bit of a Nerd."

Isn't it strange when you get a frank and sincere perception on yourself from someone else's perspective?
I think I was being complemented too!

Well dear diary friends, may you be healthy, have good dreams, and/or good sex or some chocolate.
Until next entry - may you and your children - and theirs be well.

No comments: