Friday, May 12, 2006


Friday Evening -Who Do You Remember -Teachers?
( Above:Gail Kierens,Ralf Behreans, Vincent Murphy, John Saunders, Richard Rankin, Barry Stephens)
(Left: Barry Jones Right Corner: Jacquie Ross (Zalec).


So here we are. It's Friday evening. The rain has subsided, I've picked up a video, the cats are fed and I've given the diabetic one his shot. To think I used to be deathly afraid of needles. Well I guess for the times we all passed through I should be thankful.

I have recieved a nice amount of e-mails from people I haven't seen in 30 something years.
Heidi in a Law office, Linda-who owns her own business, Richard Rankin - a great Lawyer in Ottawa area, Gervais - who published a great book that everyone should read and integrate, Colleen - a public speaker and helper of humanity as she always has been, Richard Kilpatrick -quite the poet, Debbie Hanney - who looks lovely judging by her picture -"I know I still have to call you" -soon. I'll put that picture in the blog over the weekend if you don't mind, Jacquie Ross - very quick minded, intelligent and still good looking, John Saunders - a successful man with his own TV show on ABC, Gail - who similar to Jacquie helpes people through finanical mechanisms and institutions and simply does not waste words, Barry J -with lovely wife & family in Toronto (I always knew he would do well. Hi Blaire -say hi to your brother for me.) Roddy M - the busy Film Producer flying to and from Cannes and mingling with the stars (human ones), Ricky -with lovely wife, family and guitar collection- still plays a mean and subtle guitar.

These are only some- so I guess you get the picture. I think we are going to have a good reunion.

There are still others I have to receive confirmation from. They have received my e-mails but for whatever reason so far, have not confirmed to me yet.

I have the feeling that some (-probably for good reason), deem this event as something to be dreaded.

Can you respond to this and give me a few reasons why you think one might NOT want to reunite at least one time before we all become grand old people and fade away?

In the montage of pictures in the previous blog, I was asked by Sharon S who I was standing beside in my grad Tux. That was my Grandmother. I have always been so proud of her and my Grandfather. They existed in the culture of 'the deaf' and spoke in sign. This is my mother's first language and part of my culture.

Some of my friends when coming over to the house when I was young were exposed to this culture and language. Children are wonderful when it comes to visually oriented forms of communication...no not that kind... real sign langage. Well, hold on, - you're right, the other kind is just as real. In fact it becomes even more demonstrative by those in the world of the deaf.

I remember Jimmy Williams or Roddy or Steve Porier or Norman and Stevie Perry coming over to hang out and seeing my mother and Grandmother chatting, 'hands like butterflies flying and faces providing contextual emphasis and mock emotion in their 'dialogue'. My friends eventually became used to seeing my Grandmother mode of communication and she grew used to them . I miss my Grandmother. She was one of my best friends. I think she would be very proud of me and my friends ( she knew them better than they thought. There is much we say by our action or lack of it.).

Steve Poirier, I have not heard from him yet. I have received an e-mail from someone who would really like to see him involved in this communication blog .

About 20 years ago, Steve happened to meet up with me and my wife, Jane on Park Ave. in Montreal. What a photographer!

We paid him to take photos of Jane for posterity. I am very happy 20 years later that we did. Jane is lovely even now , but between Jane's grace & beauty then and Steve's remarkable talent as a photographer we now have some wonderful keepsakes today. If you read this Steve - Thank You. (You should have charged more.)

We have two winners of the 'guess the before and after' pictures from one of the "Loop communication e-mails" . The prizes are to be awarded at the reunion. They cannot be transferred if you can't make it and must be picked up at the dinner night in May 2007. The winners are Gervais Bushe and Bruce Bennett.

I was asked to name all the people in the montage that was sent out in that loop message. Perhaps I'll do so in a future blog. There were a lot of people in that one - 7 meg worth or more asserts Brian McInnis. You probably saw Mark Stafford in that one. Roddy McManus says that he'll touch base John (Mark's brother) and will ask him for his e-mail address. Hey! It's all word of mouth - we need you all, to be contacting people and have them send me a confirmation e-mail on their interest in attending the event.

Now, I know Hopeton is back from Mytle Beach so come on ... send me an e-mail please... others have been asking. Lorraine -talk some sense into Mr.Bashfull please.

There is a contingent of bashful gymnasts out west who might consider doing the same.

And Romy - are we going to hear you sing at least one last time? Remember the coffee houses held in the high school -in the room we converted to a "smoking room". Well it is now a supply store room for old English lit books. I trhink Romy did 'Black day In July' better than Gordie himself.

I'm telling you, when walking down those halls last week - I swear I could still hear a familiar voice bark "stop running in the halls!". And there is still that floor polish smell!

Do you remember Mr. Stickney, Sally Clark,or Miss Westgate, Mr. Guindi when we joined Maple School and Chateauguay High into Billings when we were in grade 7?

Do you remember Mr.Dikaitis, Mrs. Thomas, Mr. Rossiter in Grade 8.

How about Mrs.Proulx, Mrs. Strike,Mr.Duff, or Sister "Never in a month of Sundays" Folio,
Mr. Radakir or Mr. Roberts....Mr. Meldrum, Atkins,Taylor, Royle? Mr.Howes, Mrs. Morison , Mr.Plewinski or Arnie Petersen or Mr. Wesslow? Aha! I knew you would get at least one!

There are many more I have not yet mentionned. But I have to go watch my movie now.

There are more pictures coming soon! Have you got any you want to e-mail to me for this blog?

Go ahead -leave a comment , memory or story of your own. It's o.k. this is not for marks. Everyone passes. And you can say you got "published" !

6 comments:

Les McConnell said...

Thanks. Knew Barry Jones immediately, but if that is his family picture, hell no idea which one is him. Oh help! We will all need to put a picture of our old days on our back so people will know who we are.

Can't believe Barry Jones is in Toronto also. No wonder we never run into anyone in Chateauguay. Who is still there for you? But then again, we all grow and our immediate families are what it's all about. Who is still left in Chat. that we all know.

Well I learned something new about you. I never knew that your grandmother had to sign and your mother also to communicate with her. Amazing. What a wonderful language. My son is into a little sign as he has a friend with a brother who signs. Fabulous. I just know the basic yes, no, thankyou, you are welcome, father, mother, please, etc.

Once again, thanks for all your work on this. I sure hope everyone shows.

Sharon

Les McConnell said...

Hi Les,

I greatly appreciate these pictures.. the one of Vincent Murphy, John Saunders etc is priceless.

How interesting it is to observe the effects of time. Of course we see it every day in the mirror but to see people after a 25year+ break it's very dramatic.

Cheers
Pierre

Les McConnell said...

Great job Les – amazing how well everyone is doing – I am so impressed and proud of all of us.



Debbie Ironside

Anonymous said...

Les;
What a wonderful gift you have given us by starting this. It is so good to see past and present pictures of our old friends and to be able to re-connect with them. I also hope that Steve Poirier will become involved. As well, I would love to hear from Ingrid Brouwer and Bill Ellis. If you are out there please e-mail me. I would just love to hear from you and catch up on your lives. Keep up the great work Les.

Lynda Chapleau (Young)

Anonymous said...

Do you remember Geometry with Mr. Maynes? Band with Mr.Pellow or wondering how Mr.Lingard ever made it to History class in one piece? When Mr.Simpkin set his tie on fire teaching us proper use of the Bunsen Burner? Art with Mr.Wesselow, how well I remember.Have a Great Reunion!
Linda Kenney (Shediac) alias Sneakers of Nova Scotia

Les McConnell said...

Well Sneakers- I shall have to get Howard Simpkin in on this.
Les