Thursday, May 11, 2006


Past Image versus Present Reality

What is it that makes a highschool reunion at once so enticing and yet so ominuos? Is it the nostalgia to touch base with the past- to see what all the old buddies are up to? Or to simply see what they look like now compared to you?

I'm sure for men it is much more different than women. I cannot speak for women, so maybe if you happen to be a woman you can add to this and give me some feed back.

For me, I think of how I behaved, some of the things I said and I wish I can go back and change them. I know there's nothing I can do to change "my past image" in some people's minds of who they think I was. But at least I know if they met me as I am "all grown up", they would see and experience perhaps something better and carry away with them a better image and idea of who I am and what my capabilities are.

So, I think that if this is true of me, then surely it is true of others. Perhaps not all, but some. This is part of the spirit I approach the HSB 35 year Class of '72 and friends '71 and '73 (including those who graduated, those who did not, including those from '70 and '74 who want to join in).

Curiosity

I think I am also very curious to see you again. You who passed by in the hall, you who I may have stared at in Gym class as you did everything so well, or did not. You who achieved so much early on, you who stayed quiet and under the radar for the most part hanging out with a few friends.

I think of my old friend Barry Jones from way back even before grade seven when he and I, Steve Porier and a few others were all called down from class, lined up and given the strap. I used to tell people it was for "talking on the bus". As if!

How we howled and hooted! Our lunch was not our lunch. It was our missile collection for unwary passers by on Mcleod Street as our bus passed by. Well OK, I might have taken a bite of the apple before I winged it as we zoomed along Craik Street. Grade 7 -Wow. What an intro to high school.

5 comments:

Les McConnell said...

I am just trying a test run of the comment area.

I went to the bottom of the blog and clicked on comment.

It took me to a space which allowed me to leave -you guessed it ...a comment.

I do not think you need to have a blooger account or even sign up -although you can if you want to and it is free.

You must copy the wavy letters into the word verification box. This is to help prevent automated pop-up messages from gainning access to htis blog, so please do put the letters into the box before you click on Log-in and publish.

Anonymous said...

so it was you that threw that apple that hit me

time for payback lol
cx650mike@msn.com

Anonymous said...

it's great to see all the faces that we grew up with well at least some grew up
now most of us check the obits to see if our name is in there lol
mister saunders if you read this get in touch with me.
cx650mike@msn.com
need to know if you have heard from david b. lately

Les McConnell said...

Hey Mike- I'm putting your "fish" picture in soon.
L

Unknown said...

Hey Les: I remember your long ginger hair. I sat beside you in Mr. Mahabir's English class. If I am not mistaken I think you tried out for Grease that year?