Saturday, September 22, 2007


An Excerpt from an e-mail

(From Sharon)
When I think of Barry (Jones) my most fondest memories go back to grade 6 in Mr. Kieper's class. For some reason that year continues to stick in my mind. The trips with Mr. Campbell (rubber neck) if I recall correctly, to Quebec City and to Ottawa. Such fond memories. For some reason I do not recall ever bumping into Barry in high school.
When I think of you I will never forget that summer in Salisbury (Beach), Mass. I can remember when we first arrived there was no one in that huge campground and my parents were looking around for another.

They decided not to move and my Dad left us there for the month of July.

I woke up one morning and who is camping behind us - but your family.
I couldn't believe my eyes.

The campground was full by now and loaded with teenagers just like us.

The days were filled with fun at the beach. Do you remember body surfing, we spent the whole afternoon just doing that. What fun. There there was the "wall" at night where we all had a fire on the other beach.

Of course there was the walks down the beach to the amusement park (Ocean Park) that we could see from the campground. I will never forget the fun we all had. I kept in touch with the girl you had a crush on for awhile, you know those summer friendships.

It's funny how I still remember her name Cheryl. I also remember Jack. I guess that was our summer for 'beach crushes'. Jack kept in touch with me for a long time. Years later, i.e. 18 or 19 years or so, we met up for a drink one summer when my family was back visiting Salisbury. Of course nothing was the same. That is what is so nice about memories. Each memory, like special individual snap shots are what we all hold dear -despite the realities of passing time.
Of course like you I remember our chats in MSD class after the summer, helping each other out with our respective called love lives. It was so nice to have someone like you to talk to. I didn't have a brother old enough.
I am so happy that we have reunited again after all these years. Nice to be in touch for shall I say our "golden" years. Greg and I have been trying to keep in touch with Barry and Joanne and I imagine we we'll get together this winter quite possibly since our respective daughters -it turns out- play hockey and are the same age (down here in the Toronto region).
Anyways on that note I'll close off. This nice warm (nearly) Fall day kind of made me melancholy and when I read your writings I just had to e-mail. Take care and tell Jane I hope the new school year transition has gone smoothly.
Sharon

(Sharon - send me a picture of yourself from that nice new (LUMIX) camera so I can post it here. How is it that you look even better as you age?)

No comments: