Sunday, September 23, 2007

Ile Saint Bernard

Do you remember the cement bridge down past Saint Francis and Salaberry?
Yes - you know, down past the black rail bridge.

Anyone who lived in the Heights knew all about the cement bridge, because it led to Ile Saint Bernard, owned by the Grey Nuns - and on to Lery and Beauharnois.

The island sits right at the opening of the mouth of the Chateauguay River and Lake Saint Louis.

One night 36 years ago, in the summer evening heat, as the sun was setting into it's cosy red glow, I was on my way back from having visited a girlfriend -who had to be in by 9:00 O'clock ... on a Friday night no less.

I met up with Ron and Robert Butt, who just happened to have a jug of their father's homemade wine. If I am not mistaken, Peter Boshart was with them and there was someone else there too. God she was beautiful in the glow of the setting sun.

They persuaded me to join them to sneak onto the "private island", leading me on a trek half way across the cement bridge to where one of it's supports went down to a long field. From there through the bush, we made our way to what I can only describe as "Shangri-la on the Chateauguay River".

It was there, that evening, I kissed a beautiful girl - and she kissed me back! ... even though I was going out with someone else. The twilight, the smell of her hair, and her embrace- in just a moment - that was all. But that was all that was ever needed - the moment-and the feel of her arms around me. I learned more from that than a 17-18 year old male could hope for; the innocence of a hug and one kiss. I have never again been unfaithful to anyone. But that was an evening to remember..a cherished secret moment I have never forgotten. (She probably has.)

Today, after so many years, I made my way back to that spot. The Grey Nuns have made their private Island public now and here you see the views from it.

Jane (my wife -on the left) and I bumped into my old friend Robin Moody there today. Following Richard Rankin's orders, I bring my camera with me just about everywhere- so we had our picture taken with Robin.

Meanwhile I will include pictures I took from the tip of the Island looking over at Montreal past Kahnawake. Did you know such a view existed -yes that is the Oratory on mount Royal -not bad for a 12X zoom.


( The girl who kissed me? ...Some secrets are best kept that way.)

No comments: